Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility Scheme is for young people from participating countries to experience life in the UK. Each year the UK government allocates a maximum number of applications per country and territory.

The participating countries for 2018 are:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan
  • Hong Kong *
  • Republic of Korea *

If you are either a passport-holder or a citizen of one of the countries or territories above, and that country or territory has not exceeded their annual allowance, you may be eligible to apply under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme. Your national government will be your sponsor during your stay.

You may also apply under this scheme if you are a British National Overseas (BNO). If you are a British Overseas Citizen or a British Overseas Territories Citizen then you will not need a sponsor for this visa route. There is also no maximum limit for applications if you fall under the BNO rules.

You can only apply for this visa from outside the UK and to be eligible you need to meet the criteria above, be between the ages of 18 and 30 and have enough maintenance in your account. The Home Office asks that you have a minimum balance of at least £1890 in your account.

NB If you come from Hong Kong* or Republic of Korea* you will also need to provide a Certificate of Sponsorship before you apply.

You can’t apply if you have:

  • children who live with you
  • children you’re financially responsible for
  • already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category

You will be able to work for two years in the UK under this scheme.

For further information on the Youth Mobility Scheme, please see the Home Office website.