18 Belgrave Mews West
Telephone: 0871 376 2101
Do I need a visa to visit Austria?
Some countries have special relationships with other countries which enables their residents to travel freely between the two without a visa. Check if you definitely need a visa to travel by checking the website
How can I apply?
You must apply through the VFS centre which is located at:
Austria Visa Application Centre
13a Cathedral Road
Cardiff CF11 9HA
To make an appointment you must apply through the VFS Website.
To contact the VFS centre you can email email@example.com or telephone 0871 376 2101. (Please note that calls are charged at 6 pence per minute in addition to your normal network charges).
Please note: It may take you several weeks to get an appointment at the centre, especially before the Christmas, Easter and summer vacations. Therefore, you should be making your application at least 8-12 weeks before you intend to travel.
As a guideline you should expect to provide:
- Completed application form x 1 Available to download
- One completed supplementary form
- Your passport or travel document which must be valid and in date. This must contain your student visa (which must be valid for at least 3 months longer than the validity of the Schengen visa applied for) Your passport must have a blank page to affix the Schengen visa sticker.
- 1 x passport photo: check the Embassy website for specifications
- Schengen letter available from your faculty.
- Health insurance to the value of at least 30,000 EU. Insurance is available from the Post Office, large supermarkets or various providers online The insurance company will provide you with a letter or certificate to include with your application
- Proof of travel plans this will be the flight / ferry / train booking for your trip. This country insists that you must pre-book your travel before application. .
- Proof of accommodation this will be the booking for the hotel or other accommodation you will be staying at. It is easy to find hotels that make bookings either with a small deposit or no fee at all, so book with one of these. See our tips in our travel pages.
- Letter of invitation. If you are visiting friends or family, they will need to write you a letter inviting you to come and visit. This should either be in English or in the language of the country you are visiting. If they are providing you with food and / or accommodation, the letter should state this as well.
- Proof of financial means. You should have approx. £60 per day available to you for the duration of your visit. You should provide bank statements covering the last 3 months or travellers cheques for the relevant amount to prove this.
- Schengen visa fee. This varies from country to country so check the website for charges and method of payment
- Self addressed special delivery envelope. This is so that the Embassy can post your passport and / or documents back to you when a decision has been made and is available from all post offices.
- Copies of all documents provided. Generally, you will be expected to take both originals and copies of all your documents to your appointment with you.
How long will it take?
When you have had your documents checked at your appointment, the embassy official will retain your passport (and the copies of your documents) for a decision to be made. Your passport will then be posted back to you. You can check the prospective time that you will have to wait. Unless you are from one of the specific countries listed, they will aim to post your passport back to you within 5 working days.
Further information about an Austrian Schengen visa
You can find further information in the Austrian Embassy Schengen Visa FAQ’s.
How can the Immigration & International Student Advice Team help me with my Schengen visa?
The IISA Team does not offer a service whereby they make your Schengen visa application or appointment for you. This is because generally travelling outside of the UK during your studies is for your personal pleasure. They can however check through your documents before sending/your appointment.
If you would like an adviser to check your documents for you, you should email firstname.lastname@example.org stating which country you are applying to and the date of your appointment.
You should start making your Schengen visa application at least 8-12 weeks before your proposed travel date.