Bringing family or friends for a visit

Applying for entry clearance as a standard visitor

To apply for entry clearance to visit you while you are a student at the University, your friend or family member will need to complete the online application form, which is available from the Home Office website. If you are applying in North Korea, you cannot yet use the online form to make an application and must still use the VAF 1A application form, which is available to download from the Home Office website.

The immigration rules state that a visitor must stay for no longer than six months, must have adequate funds to pay for accommodation, living expenses and return journey, and must not take up employment in the UK. The length of time in which applications are processed varies, so it is advisable for them to contact the British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate in their own country as soon as possible.

The full list of documents needed to make an application are given in a Home Office Guide. All of the documents should be originals and not photocopies. You will need to provide your family or friends with the following documents to support their application:

  • A personal letter of invitation from you stating that you will be accommodating him/her (if relevant). The letter should include your name, UK address, phone number (if relevant) and current email address. You should also state if any other friends or relatives have gained a visa to visit you since you have last been in the UK and include their details. We have produced a template letter (docx – 1.22kb) that you can download and adapt for your own situation.
  • Photocopies of the main page of your passport and the page with the stamp showing your leave to enter/remain in the UK or a photocopy of your Biometric Residence Permit (visa card) if you no longer have a paper visa.
  • A Student Status letter from your faculty confirming you are a full-time student or if your family or friends are traveling to the UK to attend your graduation ceremony, a letter of invitation from the Student Administration Services. Information on how to access a Guest Visa Letter will be found in your invitation to Graduation email.