Document Guidelines for Tier 4 Applications

On this page you will find information and examples of documents that will assist you in making sure that your documents meet the requirements for making a Tier 4 visa application. This page should be used in conjunction with our information on minimising risk for visa applications. If you are unsure as to whether or not your documents meet the requirements, we are more than happy to check them for you.

Document Checking

The University of South Wales understands that applying for a visa to enter the UK can be a stressful process. We have a dedicated team of immigration specialists who will be happy to check your documents to make sure that they are suitable for your visa application to give you peace of mind.

If you would like your documents checked, please send scanned, clear and legible copies of the complete documents (all of the pages) to along with the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your University of South Wales application reference number
  • Your date of birth
  • Any specific concerns you have about the documents

Please note that if you do not send the information in the requested format, we will not be able to check the documents for you. We will endeavour to respond to your request as soon as possible, but please do not send multiple identical emails as this will slow the process down for yourself and others.

Financial Documentation

Your financial documents are one of the most important pieces of evidence that you will need to include with your application. Whether you are sponsored or are using your own bank statements, you need to make absolutely sure that they meet the requirements as outlined below:

Bank Statements and the Required Level of Funds

If you will be supporting yourself while in the UK, you need to demonstrate that you have the required level of funds available to you. You need to show that you have £1015 per month of your course, up to a maximum of 9 months which would be £9135. This means that even if you will be studing in the UK for longer than 9 months, you will still only need to show £9135.

Example one: You come to the UK for 6 months – you would need £6090 (6 x £1015)
Example two: You come to the UK for 12 Months – you would need £9135 (9 x £1015)

If you are using a bank account in your own name, you need to provide your original bank statement covering a consecutive 28 day period.
The date of the bank statement must be no more than 1 month old at the time you submit your student visa application.

The bank statement must show:

  • your name
  • account number
  • the date the statement was produced
  • the name and logo of the bank
  • The balance and transactions for the full 28 day period
  • The currency

If you don’t have a bank statement, or if your bank statement does not meet all of the criteria outlined above (for example – the statement does not include the logo of the bank), you can also provide a letter from your bank confirming the balances and dates. Here is an example of an acceptable bank statement:

Using a parent or Legal Guardian’s Statements

If you are relying on money held by your parents or legal guardian, you must demonstrate that they have given their permission for you to use this money. You must provide a letter from your parents/legal guardian which must confirm the relationship between you and them and that they have given their consent to you using their funds to study in the UK. You can find a template for this purpose here.

If you intend on using your parents bank statements, you must provide evidence that they are your parents or legal guardians. In order to do so you will need to provide one of the following:

  • your original birth certificate, showing the name of your parents
  • certificate of adoption showing your name
  • original court documents stating the name of your legal guardian

Sponsored Students:

An official financial sponsor can be one of the following:

  • The UK Government,
  • the student’s home government,
  • the British Council
  • any international organisation, international company, university or United Kingdom independent school.

You must provide a letter from your sponsor outlining the details of the sponsorship. The letter must include:

  • Your full name
  • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
  • the date of the letter – the letter should ideally be dated within the last month
  • the length of the sponsorship
  • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to the student if they are paid a salary, or a statement that the student’s official financial sponsor will cover all of his/her fees and living costs
  • Where applicable the details of any dependents

Remember – to avoid any risk of refusal, you need to make sure that your sponsor letter contains all of the information listed above. You can see an example of an acceptable bank statement below:

Deposit Accounts and Certificates

Where possible we do not recommend that you use deposit accounts, but if necessary they can be used at your own risk as long as they meet the requirements outlined below.

Certificates of deposit are not listed as acceptable evidence in the Immigration Rules or the Tier 4 policy guidance, but a certificate of deposit will be accepted if it meets all the following requirements:

  • the certificate of deposit must have been issued within 31 days of the date of application;
  • at least 28 days must have elapsed between the date of the deposit and the date of issue of the certificate;

If you are unsure as to whether or not your certificate of deposit meets the requirements, please use the document checking service as outlined at the bottom of this webpage.


If an application includes any documents which are not in English, you must also include an original translation of each document. Each translation must contain:

  • confirmation from the translator or translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document. E.g. “I can confirm that this is a true and accurate translation of the original document”
  • the date of the translation
  • the full name and original signature of the translator, or of an authorised official of the translation company
  • the contact details of the translator or translation company
  • (if you are already in the UK and are applying for further leave) certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company’s credentials

Remember – to avoid any risk of refusal, you need to make sure that your translation contains all of the information listed above. Please make sure that the translator you use understands that the document needs to contain the above information. You may want to print the information here so that you can give it to the translator.

Here is an example of an acceptable translation from a translation company:


You must include 2 photos with your visa application. They must meet the criteria in the Home Office guidance which can be found here.

Education Certificates

You must provide the educational certificates as listed on your CAS. If you are unsure which documents relating to your qualifications that you need to provide, please contact Enquiries and Admissions at who will be able to advise you further.

Please remember that you will need to submit the original copies of any certificates. If your final certificates have not yet been issued, you will need to obtain a letter from the institution on headed paper which confirms that the certificates have not yet been issued, and that you are a holder of the award stated on your application.

CAS Statement

You will receive your CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) from the University of South Wales once you have:

  • accepted your offer
  • paid your course fees
  • confirmed that the information held is correct on the draft version of your CAS

Here is an example of what a CAS from the University of South Wales would look like: