For information on how to apply for family members to join you in the UK as your dependents, please see the Bringing your family to the UK as Dependants on Unilife.

For information on bringing your family over for a visit please see the section Bringing family or friends for a visit under the subheading Immigration.

For further information you may also like to check the information page Bringing your family which is produced by UKCISA: The UK Council for International Student Affairs.


Some international students do bring their children with them to the UK whilst they are studying. If your children are of school-age they are able to attend free state schools as long as they enter the UK on dependant visas (not visitor visas).

The Rhondda Cynon Taff (RCT) Borough Council website has a schoolfinder database that helps you find a school in the local area. This can be accessed on the following website: RCT Council Schoolfinder. You can also contact the RCT Local Authority on the following telephone number: +44 (0)1443 744040.

If you live in the Cardiff area and want information on schools in that area then please see: Cardiff Council Schoolfinder . You can also contact the Cardiff Local Education Authority on the following number: +44 (0)2920 872000.


If you live in the local area, the Rhondda Cynon Taff (RCT)’s early years and childcare website: Early Years and Family Support is designed to make it easy for parents to find all the information they need about a broad range of services for children and includes a searchable childcare database. The RCT multi-agency Early Years and Childcare Team are on hand to provide additional information, advice, guidance and support on all services, so if you cannot find what you are looking for on the website or you need more detailed information, you can call the Children’s Information Service on +44 (0)8001804151 or you can email them on the following address: childinfoserv@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk.

You can contact the Cardiff Children’s and Young People’s Information Service on +44 (0)2920 520100.