Extending your student visa

Please download and read our Guide to extending your student visa under Tier 4 of the Points Based System together with any important stop press information below.

We have also produced a Template Sponsor’s Letter for you to use if you are planning on relying on parental sponsorship. Please see page 9 of the above guide for further details.

Biometric letter information

As part of the Tier 4 application process, you will be required to attend a participating Post Office to register your photograph and fingerprints. The short video below outlines the process to do this:

Stop Press: Recent amendments to the Tier 4 policy guidance

The amount of money you will need to show in order to meet the maintenance requirements went up on the 1st July 2014. If you fall into the lower maintenance category, you will need to show £1640. If you all into the higher maintenance category, you will need to show £7380.

If you are applying in person you must now complete the online Tier 4 application form, not a paper copy.

When your new visa is returned all students must update the Home Office with their current home address (even if it is the same as the one you put on your form). Please see the Change of Circumstances page for details about how to do this.

Completing your CAS assessment form

Before issuing your CAS statement, the University is required to consider your current circumstances and study history in order to assess whether or not you are eligible for a Tier 4 student visa. In order to access a CAS statement from the University to make your visa application you therefore need to fully complete the electronic CAS assessment form and submit as directed. You will also need to email us copies of the following documents:

  • Passport(s), including all UK visas
  • Documentation regarding all courses you have undertaken in the UK to date (e.g. offer letters / student status letters / CAS / results letters)
  • Bank statements showing you have enough money in your account to meet the Tier 4 maintenance requirements as outlined in our above guide (or sponsorship letter if you are a Government sponsored student)

Don’t forget if you are continuing on the same course you will also need to request your CAS statement from your faculty; completing the CAS assessment form alone is not sufficient.

Completing the online Tier 4 (General) application form

If you are applying by post or in person you will need to complete the Tier 4 (General) application form online.

To complete your application you will have to create an account before you attend a visa workshop. We will then help you with completion of the application form in the workshop.

To create an account, go to the Home Office website and click ‘apply online’. The next screen gives you two choices:

  • Help me find the service I need
  • I already know the service I need

Click on 'I already know the service I need’ and then click on ‘T’. Choose 'Tier 4 Student Online Application’, then click on ‘Log in to apply online’. This takes you through to a screen which allows you to log in with you user name and password OR allows you to register.

Click on 'register’ and enter:

  • User name
  • Password
  • Email
  • UK telephone number and
  • Memorable word

Please make a note of these log in details as you will need this information when you come to your workshop appointment to make your application.

If your visa is refused or if there is an error on your visa, you will need to submit an Administrative Review.