EU Students

Full European Economic Area (EEA) member states

If you are a national of one of the full EEA member states (Austria, Belgium,Bulgaria, the Republic of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom) or Switzerland, you do not need permission to work in the UK and there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work.

Croatian Nationals

If you are a Croatian National you will need to apply for permission to work in the UK (some exemptions apply) in the form of a registration certificate. You will also need to apply for a registration certificate if your course has a work placement. To obtain a registration certificate, you must apply to the Home Office on Form CR1. There is currently a fee of £65 per person for this application.

To qualify for a registration certificate you will have to prove that you are enrolled at the University (on either full or part time basis) and that you have enough money available to you not to become a burden on the UK’s social assistance system during your time as a student.

Students will also need to provide evidence that they have comprehensive sickness insurance. Comprehensive sickness insurance is defined in the Croatian casework guidelines as: “Any insurance cover, private or public, contracted in the host Member State or elsewhere, is acceptable in principle, as long as it provides comprehensive coverage and does not create a burden on the public finances of the host Member State” . Please note that this means NHS cover in the UK is not sufficient cover to be applying for a CR1, so please contact us for further information is you are planning on making an application.

Once you have received your registration certificate you will be authorised to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during official University vacation periods.

For more information about worker registration for Croatian nationals, including exemptions from the scheme, please see the Home Office website

The Immigration & International Student Advice Team run workshops for Croatian students who wish to apply for a registration certificate. Please contact us for further information.

N.B. If you do not intend to work while you are studying in the UK you are not required to apply for a registration certificate.